Popular Posts

12/30/11


The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Be aware that it's my first attempt to write book review, so it may not be the best write-up you have ever read.

So, last month I read this book. I found it on http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/
On this page you can find 100 best novels according to readers and guys who run this page. I have read
about fifteen books from this list so far, and I never was disappointed. I went to the library, got it
and was very happy. The book is quite thick, about 500 pages, but it didn't bore me at any part of it.
The novel tells the story of ex-prisoner Tom Joad and his family. They are running small farm, when lands
of their neighbors are overtaken by big companys. When drought comes, their situation is getting even worse, and they also lose their possesion. The book tells the history of american lower medium class. Before reading it, I never thought if Americans always was superior and rich. Thanks to book I know, that pre WW2 years were difficult to live in. People were working really hard to make they descendants live such a good standard of  living. Joad's family, like many of poor people from Oklahoma decided to go to California. They got leaflets about work in this sunny land, and set off. These were hard times for whole family. One of their sons left  them, both grandparents died. Moreover living in CA was hard for immigrants. Local government, using police was destroying camps when they were living, the earnings were really low. Reading novel, you can learn how the capitalism works. Book is also about prostesting against big, un-fair companies and government. It's book really worth reading, if you are US citizen, to learn history of your country better, and if you aren't to get know that US citizens worked really hard to acquire world first position for many years.


Frame from movie (1940, John Ford)

6 comments:

  1. never read the book, but I saw the movie!
    pretty interesting story

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same, I really need to check out the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting read, nice review =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really did not like the grapes of wrath very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds interesting, I never was into american literature to tell you the truth, but I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete